Tuesday, 21 February 2012

Flash floods, 500 people evacuated in Gugusan Manjoi

By ROSDALILAH Zahari | www.sinarharian.com.my
February 20, 2012

IPOH - A total of 500 people in Gugusan Manjoi had been evacuated to two evacuation centers due to flooding caused by unusually heavy rains in early morning.

The Sungai Pari water level began to rise since 2 am, resulting in the Wing Onn Garden bridge to collapse due to the heavy currents. In the meantime, Bernama quoted that Menteri Besar of Perak, Datuk Seri Dr Zambry Abd Kadir, who inspected the affected area in Kampung Manjoi here, said the flooding was considered unusual than ever before.

He asked the State Security Council and other government agencies to channel all forms of immediate assistance especially daily necessities and food to all the flood victims.

"Those responsible should also take immediate steps to connect the area including roads to the damaged villages," he said. The state government will contribute aids to all the flood victims to help lessen the financial burden, especially for repairing their homes.

Meanwhile, Member of the Legislative Assembly (ADUN) of Manjoi Datuk Nazri Ismail said that according to the Department of Meteorology, areas marked as orange areas of the state are still at risk of floods.

A resident of Kampung Manjoi, Che Abd Akhirson Ulrassar, 55, said he became aware of the flooding  when a neighbour alerted him.

"At six in the morning I saw my house was flooded up to the knees. The furniture in my house are damaged, and I lost my two cats," he said.

Housewife Habsah Sharif, 56, said the floods that occurred on that day is the worst that had ever happened.

"Previously, if the rain was not going to be water rises but today. Consumable items I did not get saved," he who lived with her husband and two children.

Video clip by ThePerakToday


No comments:

Post a Comment