Tuesday, 21 February 2012

Gugusan Manjoi hit by flash floods

By Nurhayati Abdullah | www.bharian.com.my

500 people were evacuated due to unusually heavy rain for several hours

* Click on the pictures for original size

from www.peraknews.com
from peraktoday.com
from thestar.com.my
from peraktoday.com

IPOH: More than 500 people in Gugusan Manjoi, Silibin and Batu Gajah, near here, were evacuated after their homes were flooded in 0.5 m. of water this morning, the worst flood in 10 years in the area.

The flash floods were caused by heavy rain for several hours, and had caused four schools to be closed today.

Water levels increased dramatically, especially in areas of Sungai Pari, Sunagi Tapah and Sungai Kinta due to the extraordinary rainfall which started at 2 in the morning, and subsided at 8 am.

Other areas affected are Kampung Manjoi Lama, Kampung Datuk Ahmad Said Tambahan 3, Taman Muhibbah, Lim Garden in Ipoh and Kampung Sungai Terap in Batu Gajah. A concrete bridge in Taman Wing Onn collapsed due to strong currents.

The four schools which are closed are Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan Seri Puteri, SMK Sungai Pari, Sekolah Kebangsaan Tarcision Convent and SK Seri Mutiara. It is reported that Pusat Jagaan Anak Yatim Nurul Iman Manjoi was also flooded.

All flood victims were moved to two evacuation centers; Dewan Orang Ramai Kampung Manjoi and Sekolah Agama Rakyat Tengku Hussin for supervision and assistance.

Member of Legislative Assembly (ADUN) Manjoi, Datuk Nadzri Ismail, said the flooding was the worst that has been reported in the area, following unusually heavy rains in Gugusan Manjoi since early yesterday morning.

"So far, we have identified the victims from several villages in the area, among others, Tengku Hussein Village, Kampong Datuk Ahmad Said and Manjoi Lama had to be evacuated to relief centers.

Meanwhile, Menteri Besar, Datuk Seri Dr Zambry Abdul Kadir, spent about an hour visiting some of the victim's houses and the flooded area.

Dr. Zambry said the state government would take immediate steps to address the situation, including providing immediate assistance such as food supplies to help the victims.

"I have instructed the state Education Department to take necessary action against the four schools that were closed. I have talked with the department about the appropriateness of whether the school should be closed, temporarily or otherwise, "he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment