Monday, 4 July 2016

Ahmad Husni Hanadzlah announces resignation

27 June 2016
From freemalaysiatoday.com and nst.com.my.

Dato' Seri Ahmad Husni Hanadzlah

Ahmad Husni Hanadzlah has announced his resignation as second finance minister following the Cabinet reshuffle today by Prime Minister Najib Razak.

The Tambun MP today announced his resignation from all his posts, including Umno treasurer, BN treasurer-general, Perak Umno liaison committee deputy chairman, Perak BN deputy chairman and Tambun Umno division chief.

Deputy Finance Minister Johari Abdul Ghani has been named as the second finance minister following Ahmad Husni’s resignation.

Ahmad Husni first entered the government sector in 1984 as the general manager of the Perak State Islamic Economic Corporation. He later became the deputy international trade and industry minister and deputy finance minister before becoming a minister.

Husni Hanadzlah: Why I resigned as a minister 
BY ARNAZ M. KHAIRUL - 3 JULY 2016

KUALA LUMPUR: Much had been made of Datuk Seri Ahmad Husni Hanadzlah’s decision to step down as second finance minister last month.

Husni had remained quiet since his decision on June 27, but in an interview with Berita Harian Ahad today, the Tambun member of parliament revealed just why he had resigned from his ministerial position and all party posts.

Life, he said, goes through three phases: education, working life and the age of maturity. “I classified the third phase as the phase of maturity. We no longer work. We focus our time on charity and the sharing of knowledge with those who are in Phase One and Phase Two of their lives, in order to strengthen the capacity of that generation.

“In my heart, I was always asking when would I be stepping into the third phase of life. We are now in a highly competitive era, which is more complex... such surroundings require a ‘Pavlovian’ way of thinking.

“A ‘Pavlovian’ mentality requires individuals to understand changes and adapt to swift changes. I felt that the working life was now more suited to a generation that was younger than myself.

“I had, since several years prior, been contemplating moving into Phase Three. With my age past 60, would it be wise for me to continue serving?” Husni said the work required as second finance minister was complicated, involving among others the management of fiscal policy, budgets, monitoring of financial standings, national debt, tenders, 1Malaysia Development Bhd, the corporatisation of Ministry of Finance Inc companies, monitoring of financial and capital markets and determining fuel prices, “as well as facing countless issues of perception”.

“Nevertheless, I continued my service in order to help the prime minister, government and the country in the face of global economic uncertainty,” he said. Husni said he made the decision not to contest the next general election, thus leaving him with perhaps a year and a half of service.

“On the morning of June 27, after the Economic Council meeting, I asked the prime minister whether he would be changing my portfolio in the cabinet reshuffle to be announced that evening. He confirmed that this would be the case.

“I informed him that it was my intention to end my political career in the Finance Ministry. I had one and a half years of service remaining. If I was given another portfolio, one and a half years would not be enough for me to serve effectively."

Husni said his resignation meant that his “life in Phase Two” would be ending and he would then be moving into Phase Three.

“Thus, I resigned from my post as minister as well as all my positions within the party at national, state and division levels. The only position I still hold is as member of parliament.”





Thursday, 14 January 2016

E-Idaman Under Close Watch

Thursday, 7 January 2016
by Ivan Loh  |  www.thestar.com.my

Manjoi assemblyman Mohamad Ziad Mohamed Zainal Abidin (third from right) handing out rubbish bins to village heads during the launch of the joint solid waste management and public cleanliness programme. Also present at the launch were Zulkapli (left) and Zamri (right).
Image by www.thestar.com.my

SOLID waste management company Environment Idaman Sdn Bhd (E-Idaman) has started a six-month trial run of its service in Manjoi, Ipoh.

The service includes clearing up of illegal dumpsites, garbage collection, sweeping the streets, cleaning of drains and grass cutting.

Ipoh Datuk Bandar Datuk Zamri Man said E-Idaman was given a chance to show what they can do and they would be evaluated by the city council and state Solid Waste Management and Public Cleanliness Corporation (SWCorp) before a decision is made on hiring their services for the long run.

“Let me stress that we are not hiring them yet.

“They will now provide their services here so that everyone can understand their role,” he said after launching the joint solid waste management and public cleanliness programme in Manjoi on Tuesday.

The programme is a collaboration between the city council, SWCorp and E-Idaman.

Zamri said Manjoi was chosen because it was one of many areas with a heavy output of solid waste.

“A recent study showed that about 30 tonnes of garbage is collected from this area daily.

“We will try to discuss with E-Idaman chief executive officer Datuk Zulkapli Mohamed about widening the area covered,” he added.

State SWCorp director Fatimah Ahmad said under the agreement with E-Idaman, the solid waste company would use new equipment, including lorries, garbage compactors and rubbish bins.

“They will provide garbage bins to all landed houses and commercial lots here,” she said, adding that there were 5,467 homes, 218 commercial lots and several mosques in Manjoi.

“They will also have a scheduled collection of garbage and cleaning up of drains and the streets.

“We will observe and have a set of KPI for them to follow,” she said, adding that E-Idaman would be paid a nominal fee to cover its petrol cost.

Fatimah said collection of garbage would be done from house to house, three times a week.

“We will educate and encourage people to throw in the rubbish bins.

“We will also teach them how to do separation of waste and recycling later.

“There are about 300 illegal dumpsites here and we have started to clear these as well,” she said.

Ipoh City Watch (ICW) president Prof Dr Richard Ng said he has seen what E-Idaman could do in Perlis and Kedah and vouched for the company’s service.

“We understand that the city council is short-handed so we hope E-Idaman can do a great job here.

“E-Idaman will have to perform and achieve the KPI set for them.

“SWCorp will fine them if they miss out any collections or did not cut the grass at a location according to the standard operating procedure,” he added.